Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to tell if sedge is coming back?

Posted by wangshan Z5 usa MW (My Page) on
Sun, May 7, 06 at 9:40

I bought several sedges last summer..all honey bronze in color..some short but with long silky blades(like a ponytail) another taller, with blades that curl at the end. So far it doesn't seem like they are doing anything but it's hard to tell because the new and old blades are almost the same color. I haven't cut down the old growth on the taller one yet either...should I do that now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to tell if sedge is coming back?

you could actually, let the new growth come up through the old growth but ...
Zone 5 winters typically make 'evergreen' or 'everbronze' sedges look dreadful. I usually give mine a brush-cut. If the taller of the two sedges is Carex buchananii ~ in my experience this one doesn't like a severe brush-cut. It would be better to just tidy this it up a little bit.

o
RE: How to tell if sedge is coming back?

Thanks..I haven't cut the buchananii yet so I shall leave it for now. I did cut the smaller one, I guess I'll have to be more patient.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here