Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue fascue flowers

Posted by clarendon (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 11 at 9:47

Hi.

My blue fascues are doing fine, although I haven't pruned them this spring (didn't know they needed pruning). Should I prune them by 1/3 now? Or if I just let them grow without pruning, will they turn ugly later this season?

They have started producing flowers, and they don't look very pretty. Would it be OK if I pull them all out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue fascue flowers

• Posted by donn_ 7b GSB LI N (My Page) on
    Mon, May 9, 11 at 14:47

Blue Fescue is a cool season grass which should have been cut back to just a few inches a couple of months ago, before it started this year's growth.

If you don't like the flower stems, you can cut the whole thing back now, and it should put out a new flush of foliage before the heat of summer begins. I'm speaking of zone 7 and cooler zones, since I don't know what zone you're in.

It'll try to bloom again after a couple of months, and you can do the same thing again.

o

Thanks, donn.

Are you recommending that I prune them now? I am not clear whether you are talking about cutting back just the flowers or cutting back the whole plants. They are looking beautiful now, and I would hate to lose that by pruning. If I don't prune them (whole plants) now, will they turn ugly later on? They were planted just last fall as little plants, so I'm not sure if they really need to be pruned this season.

About the flowers, can I just PULL them out rather than cut them back? They pull out quite easily. Will this damage the plants, though?

My zone is 8, as you told me last time.

Thank you very much.

o

Tue, May 10, 11 at 18:02

If you pull out all the flower stalks, you may damage the plants. Leave them until the flower stalks start to turn brown just under the seed heads. Then prune the plants back. This will prevent most of the re-seeding, and the plants will throw up new foliage in short order.

o

Thanks.

I will go ahead and prune them after a short while. When they flower again in a few months, I should prune them again?

o

Thu, May 12, 11 at 17:36

If you don't like the look of the flower heads, and don't want them to self sow, you should follow the same cycle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here