Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is It Alive???

Posted by Myback_Garden 6b ON Canada (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 05 at 9:49

I think it's alive??..
I was digging out the dead clumps of Cortaderia Selloana Rosea yesterday....yikes they have huge roots..anyway I had the two dug out and had just stuck the shovel in for the third when I noticed some green...some of the clump parts have turned green..
Does this mean it's alive??
They are still the creamy biegie colour but about 4 or 5 of them are green as well...(they are not new shoots)..and they were not there before..I've looked over that clump at least 20 times..in the past 2 weeks.there was not one speck of green to be found.
They are real green not just a little bit.
I'm so hoping it's alive..
What do you think?
Thanks Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is It Alive???

Myback Garden -
From what you write, I think also that the "green" pieces are alive. How long has it been in this spot, as you didn't mention, whether you were moving it, or "cleaning up the dead bits" to rejuvinate for the season?
If you need to get it out of where you had it, pot the green parts up in pots and grow on, without chucking them, that way you'll know for certain, and won't feel at a loss, if you chucked them out too early.
PLMK
Best,
PP

o

PP: It has been in this spot since the summer last year. I planted 3 of them and the others did grow very nice all summer but I did not see any sign of life at all this year...so I dug them up. I was just about to dig up the 3rd when I noticed the green. I am going to leave it where it is and hopefully if this weather we are having changes and it warms up.. it will continue to green and grow. It is looking good so far as I just checked it..I also put in 2 Gracillimus this year ..which I have been told are hardy to my zone..keeping fingers crossed here.. Thanks Deb

o

Deb -
I'll keep fingers AND toes crossed, but I think you'll be OK. Do let me know though.
I think your new Miscanthus is good down to Z4 or Z5, so I think it's fine too!
Best Good Luck!
PP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here