Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamit30_gw

porcupine grass - please help!

jamit30
18 years ago

I planted porcupine grass 2 years ago/ Last year only a couple of blades came back. This year they are coming up ALL OVER! What do I do?

HELP - please!

Comments (10)

• donn_
    18 years ago

What do you want to do? You have several options. If you want to be rid of it, dig them up and throw them away. After doing this for a while, you should kill it. If you want to cultivate it, and the volunteers are spread out, try transplanting them together.

I'm surprised that it's self-propagating in your zone. Are you sure it's Miscanthus sinensis 'Strictus?'

• donn_
    18 years ago

Jami...can't tell from the pic you emailed. This is what 'Strictus' looks like:

{{gwi:856620}}

• donn_
    18 years ago

It just dawned on me that "Porcupinegrass" or "Porcupine Grass" is a regional common name for Hesperostipa spartea (AKA Stipa spartea), or "Needlegrass" which is a prairie grass that is indigenous to your state.

It looks like this:

{{gwi:856623}}

• jamit30
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That is what I planted 2 years ago. Then last summer only a few blades came back. I now know it's NOT my porcupine grass. BUT I can't remember what grass I planted. I have tried to dig up the blades that are sprouting - but the root system is incredible. I have blades coming up in my lawn. How do I control it?

• jamit30
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The strictus is what I planted 2 years ago. Actually what is spreading looks more silverish and does not have the stripes and get's to be around 3-4 feet tall. I'm sure the porcupine grass won't come back at all this year.

I'm thinking (now looking up maitenance on the internet) that I did not allow enough space for this grass that's spreading. Do you think I should make my bed bigger and move the other grass around it?

I'd paste a picture on but my computer won't let me.

• donn_
    18 years ago

Is the grass spreading by rhizome, or self-seeding? How far away from the parent plant, are the volunteers?

• jamit30
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I believe rhizome. Some are about 2 to 3 feet away.

• donn_
    18 years ago

I would root prune the parent plant, a couple of times a year. The first time will be the most difficult. Take a sharp spade, seriously sharp, and insert it into the ground, straight down, in a continuous circle around the plant, as far out as you want to allow volunteers to grow. Go down at least 12", more if possible. This will cut the rhizomes, and should prevent any new shoots outside the circle.

If it's self-seeding, you need to cut off the seedheads before they can set seed.

• jamit30
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This REALLY helps me! I will try this! Then should I dig up the others or will they die on their own?

Thank you again for your time and help -I appreciate it!

jami

• donn_
    18 years ago

Jami...if you don't want to dig up the escapees, just cut them off at ground level, as many times as necessary. Eventually, it should croak.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH
More Discussions