Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unwanted Pampas Grass

Posted by iam3killerbs NC (My Page) on
Mon, May 4, 09 at 10:50

30-some years ago, the original owner of this house planted a pampas grass in an ill-chosen location. If it has had any care since there is no evidence.

When we first saw it we thought only of how pretty they are -- having only ever seen them from a distance. Alas, ...

The thing is immense (now in 3 distinct clumps). The center is dead. It blocks access from one part of the yard to another. It shades an area otherwise perfect for a salsa garden. It slashes the arms and legs of unwary adults and presents a danger to the face and eyes of the 3yo.

How can it be removed?

And if we re-plant the smallest clump in a more suitable area of the yard, where can I get good information about keeping it looking good and in control?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unwanted Pampas Grass

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, May 4, 09 at 11:28

You remove it by digging it up and either composting it, burning it or throwing it in the landfill. You can either do it yourself (this is the hard way) or hiring a landscape crew to do it (the easy way).

The process is simple, but not an easy chore. First cut it down, and then dig up the crown and roots. You could kill it first, with Glysophate, or any variety of other chemicals, but you'd still have to dig it out.

As far as transplanting the smallest clump, you can get all the information you'll need to care for it right here.

o

I took the semi-hard way. I asked my 17yo son to dig it out.

He commented that he looked like an alien out there in his protective clothing -- including a real fire helmet with face shield and fabric "skirt".

But he didn't get slashed at all.

We have to finish raking up the debris, but I can work in that part of the garden and let the 3yo roam that part of the yard now.

Its like the prickly pears -- so PRETTY, but in need of a special location where it can't attack the unwary.

I owe the 17yo a batch of cookies now.

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, May 14, 09 at 9:47

Wow! Can you loan me the 17yo? My wife makes great cookies!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here