Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceybeth_gw

help!

staceybeth
16 years ago

Hi, I have 4 ornamentals in my front yard. When they were brown and dormant, I cut them back. They still have not grown back or shown even the slightest green or growth.

Any suggestions.

Comments (13)

• donn_
    16 years ago

Other than wait, I can't think of any suggestions.

What kind of grasses are they? How well established? What zone is "5-8?"

• staceybeth
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi I am not sure what type they are. We live in Mass and the zone is 5-8.. thats what they tell me.

• grass_guy
    16 years ago

5-8 is not your zone, but 5 may be.

You need to find out your zone. Visit the link below for zone information. Then you need to find out what varieties of grass you have. If you are in zone 5 waiting for a zone 8 grass to come back from your winter cold, you are going to have a very long wait.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardiness Zones

• staceybeth
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay so I went to the arbor website and now they say that my zipcode 01907 is 6-7.

• donn_
    16 years ago

The Swampscott area. The closer to the coast you live, the warmer your zone likely is.

Describe the grasses for us. How tall? What sort of plumes (flowers), color, variegation, etc.. Were they established, mature grasses, or did you plant them last fall?

The advice will still be to wait it out. If they haven't started to show some life by mid-summer, they are likely to be goners.

• staceybeth
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I planted them last summer! They were green with no flowers.. about 4 feet tall. They were planted as mature grass. Any help would be great.

If by mid July there is no sign of life... I will dig them up and replant somthing else, like Hosta.

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

Hosta?
    Remember that grass needs full sun to develop to its fullest, whereas Hostas are shade plants.

There are a lot that won't grow even as far down as my zone, which mistakenly is called zone 7. My area is so hot and dry, they compromise with 7b. However, I'm more an 8a. So it's confusing, but somehow, plants seem to know. [LOL]

Christine

• staceybeth
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Christine,

The OG is planted in the front yard where there is strong afternoon sun.. right now, they look dried, like hay. No signs of life at all.. I am concerned.

I have 5 Hosta in my front yard where there is strong afternoon sun and they have been coming up religiously for 2 years.....Lucky I suppose..

• staceybeth
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, i went to my local nursery where I bought the OG. The owner told me that "if they are not up now, they are dead". I bought them there so she knows best.. I pulled them up and it looks as if they didnt even spread their roots.... they came up as if I had just planted them.

• donn_
    16 years ago

Did she tell you what sort of grass they were?

Did she replace them for you?

• staceybeth
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nope she didnt replace them for me... It was a little over a year that I bought them and I did not have the reciept. The nursery is so large and they deal with so many people.

Its fine... I bought some Blue Angel Hosta.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    16 years ago

If the roots were very rootbound and you didn't spread out the roots, they died because they never established themselves and continued to try to grow as if they were still overcrowded in a pot. Your fault, not the nursery's.

• staceybeth
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yup, I realized that.. thats why I didnt ask for replacements.. My mistake.