Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pogrower

helictotrichon sempervirons (Blue Oat Grass)

POGrower
10 years ago

I came across this forum while researching invasive ornamental grasses. Now i am a member--here's my first post. Blue Oat Grass is one of my favorites. I started with the requisite 3 some years ago and love their shape and color in the garden. But alas, they have to go. They were not invasive at first and I remember being pretty excited when I saw the first volunteer. However, that was a bad sign: A couple years later I am pulling them out from everywhere in the garden. If you don't get them when small, of course, they are harder to pull and I've even had to dig up a couple of invaded perennials in order to remove the grass. I read several postings about this grass, including comments such as "seeds seldom germinate." The only thing I can figure out about my grass is that I am witnessing the result of its crossing with another grass species, perhaps the pesky blue fescue I am getting rid of. I am curious if anyone on this forum has also experienced the heartbreak of good grass going bad.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions