Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okgirl80

Pennisteum?? ID w/pic

OKGirl80
12 years ago

I've looked everywhere for some fountain grass other than the Rubrum variety. The last nursery I stopped out told me these are fountain grasses. They had to go pull them out of one of the green houses, and they are not labeled. I'm skeptical about it.

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab218/jaymeejo_22/th_photo-2.jpg

http://emob865.photobucket.com/albums/ab218/jaymeejo_22/photo-3.jpg?t=1306423809

I am needed something pretty full and round at the base. They are in beds in my front of my house and need to block the view of the damaged skirting that will be replaced this winter. I have two about 3.5' apart with a zebra grass in the corner where the deck meets the house.

Any suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (7)

• donn_
    12 years ago

It's hard to tell, because the photo is so small, but it looks more like a Miscanthus than a Pennisetum. It doesn't have a fountain-like habit.

• OKGirl80
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm a total novice to anything landscaping related, but I've read through every page on this OG forum the last couple days, and I Had decided it was probably a Misc of some sort. Will it accomplish what I'm going for? I need to figure something out to go in front of and centered between the two.

I'm attaching a bigger image of the grass for reference as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big PIC

• donn_
    12 years ago

The grass in that photo will more than fill the space which is visible in the photo. It should be 3' away from the house and have as much room on every side.

I can't tell how deep the bed is, but if it's around 3' deep you'll need small versions of Miscanthus and Pennisetum, or even smaller grasses like Carex varieties etc..

• OKGirl80
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After looking at more pictures online, I'm almost positive this is 'Gracillimus'. I should have gone with my gut, and not bought them. They were just planted yesterday. Would they survive if I was to move them to another location? Its not going to give the look I was hoping for at all. My front bed has the PFG spread out between some whiskey barrels, and other planters, as well as some Blue Fescue.

This is the reason I have neglected to do any landscaping since we tore out the old stuff 10 years ago. I see exactly what I want online and on landscaping shows, but I'm never able to mimic it on my own. Guess I need someone to draw me a map of what to plant where.

• donn_
    12 years ago

If you just planted them yesterday, it's safe to move them now. They haven't grown any roots at all.

It does look like one of the fine-bladed Miscanthus varieties like 'Gracillimus.' I have half a dozen of them scattered around my property, and they are a beautiful grass. 3' clearance on all sides is the minimum for them.

• OKGirl80
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much! Guess I'll go out and find a place to move them, then go hunting for some Hameln's.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I've purchased many grasses online from Santa Rosa Gardens. They often have sales too. Just a thought.....

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm