Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hakone Grass Questions?

Posted by cindylouhoo 6MidTN (My Page) on
Tue, May 5, 09 at 13:31

Hello! I browse a few of the GW forums and decided to drop in on this one today. Everyone has always been so helpful, so I'm looking for some good advice. I live in Middle Tennessee and would like to plant some hakone grass with my hostas. I'm curious to know which varieties you recommend and if you have any recs for an on-line source. I can't seem to find any locally. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hakone Grass Questions?

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Tue, May 5, 09 at 15:40

I love this grass, and it should go very will with Hosta. I only have 2 varieties so far, 'Aureola' and 'Albo-striata,' but I can honestly say I've never seen a variety of Hakone I didn't like. It all depends on which color scheme you fancy.

Goggle Images is a good way to look at them all:

http://images.google.com/images?q=Hakonechloa macra&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Lots of online vendors carry 'Aureola' but fewer carry other varieties. Digging Dog and ForestFarm both have better selections.

o
RE: Hakone Grass Questions?

• Posted by maka z4 MN (My Page) on
    Wed, May 6, 09 at 22:02

Hi. I have 2 Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola' plants, one of which is 7-8 years old,and the other one around 4 y.o. They
are in different parts of the garden but do not receive
much sun. They have never been mulched but received compost
and a mix of kelp, bone meal and leaf mold sprinkled on
top when planted. Initially, they were watered daily but after that only as needed during hot spells.
One thing the grower told me was not to use spray near
the grasses or other plants. People experience a lot
of casualties from too concentrated applications of ferti-
lizer as well. I know a lot of people have had problems
keeping these grasses alive, and there may be other
reasons why they don't survive. Overall, the golden culti-
vars seem to be more fragile than the green varieties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here