Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Northern Sea Oats struggling

Posted by dave11 6A (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 14:13

Everyone else seems to have good luck with this, but the two I bought two years ago are struggling.

Found them in a forgotten corner of a nursery, both looked good but their roots were nearly bursting out of their pots. Took them home, pruned back the outer roots and planted in full sun with lots of water.

Last year, they grew only half as large as they had been in the pots, with only a few seedheads.

This year, they are sending up only a a few new shoots, just on the outer edge of the ring of old growth.

Do these need to be divided? Only reason I thought not was because they had grown so well when potbound.

Any help appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Northern Sea Oats struggling

All I can think of is the possibility of some sort of disease. This plant is probably the easiest grass to grow, in almost any kind of garden environment. Real drought is the only thing I've seen slow them down. I have them in several different locations, from full sun to full shade, and they grow like weeds.

o
RE: Northern Sea Oats struggling

nothing to loose .... I would dig them up, take a sharp knife & slice them in half (or more), then dunk them in a bucket of water to get rid of some of the mixture used for potting. I have seen some plants (grasses included) fail to grow their way out of their prison of pot bound roots & disgusting pro-mix type potting mix.
Once you have rinsed off some of the potting mix then loosen up the root ball - you can be fairly brutal - & replant.
Then ...... fingers crossed ;o)
a.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here