Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help choosing a ground cover grass

Posted by janmoulder 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 14:38

I'm looking for a low growing, finely textured, soft and delicate, carefree ornamental grass to fill in the beds around my spirea. I'd like something darker in color for the contrast. I'd love to do mondo grass, but that's just too iffy for my zone 5 garden....plus this location gets full sun. Any ideas out there???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help choosing a ground cover grass

I'm afraid you may be in for a long search. Since you're too cold for Mondo and probably for Liriope, you'll have trouble finding something in a grass which is low-growing and dark. Dark green is going to be the best you can hope for.

Google "Carex Pensylvanica" and look at its images. If it suits your criteria, it's extremely carefree and easy to grow.

o
RE: Need help choosing a ground cover grass

Again not as dark as you were hoping but, a nice silvery blue - I grow a large patch of Carex glauca around the base of a spirea & it looks great. Easy to manage - spreads nicely to form a good sized patch. Can handle sunny situations.

cheers
A.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here