Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harwichhelen

Carex Bronzita hardy in zone 7, Cape Cod?

harwichhelen
16 years ago

Does anyone know whether Carex Bronzita is hardy in zone 7? I'm on Cape Cod, and already thinking ahead to overwintering the plants I just bought. I have 3 Carex Bronzita; maybe I'll bring one in the house over the winter just to be safe! Thanks!

Comments (3)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

You should have no worries regarding hardiness. 'Bronzita' is a named selection of Carex flagellifera or New Zealand sedge. This is hardy to zone 5, perhaps even 4.

With the exception of purple fountain grass or a few tropicals, pretty much any ornamental grass will be fully hardy in zone 7.

• donn_
    16 years ago

IIRC, there's also a C. comans cultivar called 'Bronzita.'

It should also be hardy in zone 7.

One of the problems with NZ Carex is it's relative newness in our market. Even the latest consumer books are short in information on these plants. I've spent hours scouring the net for information from EnZed sources, and there isn't much.

This is a subject where active forums can play a great part in advancing the knowledge-base of their uses in our gardens.

Share your experiences with NZ Sedges. It'll help us all.

• harwichhelen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info! To me this is one of the prettiest grasses I've seen. It's a shiny light bronzy brown, and very soft and delicate, and sways in the lightest breeze. It's also great if you want a small grass that fits in a pot for a table or deck or front of the border. I'll let you know how it does over the winter.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions