Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carex Bronzita hardy in zone 7, Cape Cod?

Posted by harwichhelen Zone 7 MA (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 07 at 14:50

Does anyone know whether Carex Bronzita is hardy in zone 7? I'm on Cape Cod, and already thinking ahead to overwintering the plants I just bought. I have 3 Carex Bronzita; maybe I'll bring one in the house over the winter just to be safe! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carex Bronzita hardy in zone 7, Cape Cod?

You should have no worries regarding hardiness. 'Bronzita' is a named selection of Carex flagellifera or New Zealand sedge. This is hardy to zone 5, perhaps even 4.

With the exception of purple fountain grass or a few tropicals, pretty much any ornamental grass will be fully hardy in zone 7.

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, May 30, 07 at 19:47

IIRC, there's also a C. comans cultivar called 'Bronzita.'

It should also be hardy in zone 7.

One of the problems with NZ Carex is it's relative newness in our market. Even the latest consumer books are short in information on these plants. I've spent hours scouring the net for information from EnZed sources, and there isn't much.

This is a subject where active forums can play a great part in advancing the knowledge-base of their uses in our gardens.

Share your experiences with NZ Sedges. It'll help us all.

o

Thanks for the info! To me this is one of the prettiest grasses I've seen. It's a shiny light bronzy brown, and very soft and delicate, and sways in the lightest breeze. It's also great if you want a small grass that fits in a pot for a table or deck or front of the border. I'll let you know how it does over the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here