Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadara_gw

My Poor Carex

shadara
14 years ago

So back on April 21st, I nabbed some plants that were in an overgrown, leaf-covered garden. I wasn't sure what this plant was but I could tell it wasn't a weed. I had no clue what to do with it at my new house, so I just plopped it into the shaded, North flowerbed and hoped for the best. (see picture through link)

Well, after several searches online I believe it to be Carex morrowii 'Aurea-variegata' (Japanese variegated sedge). Luckily the location it is in should be fine for it. However...

I planted it at the same soil depth it was at old place, but I didn't compensated for the thick dead leaves it was trying to poke through before. I don't think I planted it deep enough. It seems pretty healthy, but looks leggy and mostly laying down. :(

Since it's been over a month since transplanting, would it hurt to replant it deeper right now? Maybe bunch the stalks closer together?

Also... I have some topsoil and manure available to me. If I DO replant it deeper, should I mix a little of either/both into it's soil when replanting (since it's all sand right now)?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Poor Carex

Comments (6)

• donn_
    14 years ago

Carex are pretty tough critters, but I think two transplants in a month might be a little much.

Maybe you should try mounding up some soil and mulch to cover the white lower portions of the blades. Use a mix of 75% topsoil and 25% well composted manure, and spread it thinly. Then go the rest of the way with mulch.

If they survive, transplant them in the fall, into a much richer soil. This Carex wants rich, well-draining soil with pretty much constant moisture.

• shadara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the advice. :)

Now I'm confused. I received a catalog from a nursery and it looks a lot like their listing for Carex oshimensis 'Evergold'.

What's the difference between C. oshimensis 'Evergold' and C. morrowii 'Aura variegata'??? Pictures of both on the web look just like mine.

• donn_
    14 years ago

The biggest difference is in the pattern of the variegation.

'Evergold' has green margins with yellow down the center, while 'Aurea variegata' is the reverse, with yellow margins and green in the center.

More subtle differences are found in blade width (morrowii is slightly wider) and overall plant size (morrowii will grow slightly taller).

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

The names are often used interchangeably :-) But a true 'Evergold' has a broader, more golden colored median stripe with distinct green margins. 'Aurea-variegata' has less well-defined variegation and is generally of a more creamy, white color, less intensely gold. IME, the variegation follows the same pattern for both (green margins, colored center stripe) and 'Evergold' presents with a wider blade. But there is much confusion within the industry on the exact taxonomic status of both, hence the often interchangeable names.

Based on just your photo, I'm not convinced your plant is either or even a sedge. There doesn't appear to be much variegation apparent at all (even young plants of both will have very obvious variegation) and sedges are clumpers - it is very unusual to be able to separate a clump into individual stalks with roots like your photo displays. Does it have a sharp edge to the blades?

Is it possible to post additional photos that show the grass better in close up?

• donn_
    14 years ago

C.m. 'Aurea-variegata:'

{{gwi:857702}}

Clump forming, evergreen sedge with broad, stiff, shiny, mid-green leaves which are yellow margined.

C.o. 'Evergold:'

{{gwi:857705}}

Features grass-like, arching, variegated leaves (1/2" wide to 12" long) which are creamy yellow with dark green borders.

• shadara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, then maybe it's not a Carex afterall... it's medium green leaves with single silver stripe down center of each. They are approximately 1/4" wide x 11" long.

I remember it being fuller a couple years ago, but older garden was overrun by wild violets and weeds and this small bunch was all I could rescue.

Still looking quite droopy :(

Maybe whatever it is needs more sun... other pics in same album below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of my carex?

Sponsored
More Discussions