Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown tips on grasses

Posted by OKGirl80 OK (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 11 at 15:14

I've planted Pennisetum 'Rubrum' and 4 Miscanthus (either Adagio or Morning Lights) over the last couple weeks. I noticed this morning the tips are starting to turn brown. Since planting, we've had a lot of storms and rain, but all are planted in good soil with pretty good drainage. Is this just shock from planting or do I have another problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown tips on grasses

It's probably transplant shock. Even with abundant rain, newly installed plants have trouble taking in water unless their rootballs are soaked every day. They've been happily living in a greenhouse, being watered at least daily, and now are trying to make better root systems to cope with living on their own.

o

I sure hope so! Would hate to lose $100 worth of plants. I don't really have the money to replace them this year if they don't come around. How long before I should see an improvement?

o

The browned tips will last until you cut the plants back next spring, but the plants should be ok. If some blades die back more than half, you can cut off the brown. Cut them at an angle, because some of them will continue to grow in length, but will have whatever shape end you leave on them.

o

Pennisetum 'Rubrum' is hardy in OK?

o

No, not unless we have a mild winter. But I like it, and wasn't having any luck finding the Pennisetum species so I bought these in the mean time. Most likely they will be replaced with the species or Hameln next year

o

Just curious. I can't grow it here and you are colder than me.

o

I grow it as an annual. Our summer is just hot enough, and fall stays warm due to the influence of the bay. I get good height and good blooms, and as long as I can get them cheaply, it's worth the expense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here