Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pampas Grass Growth????

Posted by Electracity017 (My Page) on
Wed, May 18, 05 at 15:19

Hello, not sure what to think of my pampas grass that I planted last year. It grew beautifully and probably got to be upwards to 5 feet in height by the end of the summer. The problem is it does not seem to be showing any signs of life this year. If it has not started by now, should I assume that it did not make the winter or does it take more heat and sunshine before I will see anything. A few weeks ago I trimmed it down, about 2 feet from the ground after reading some sites. Please advise, all help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pampas Grass Growth????

I'm needing the answer to that one myself. I posted a few days ago, but nobody has replied. I just planted mine last year, but so far there's no growth showing yet. All my other grasses are growing fine.

Laurel

o

Look down into the crown of the plant...do you see any green growth in there? Try to wiggle the plant at its base...is it firmly rooted, or does it wiggle quite a bit?

Pampas grass has been a slow starter for me, here in zone 8, so you should probably give it a bit longer. I had a few tall ornamental grasses go belly up on me this year...they didn't come back. When I started to dig them up to check the root systems, they literally popped right outta the ground with little effort. However, when I dug out my pampas to check, it gave me a fight. It was very firmly rooted and was producing healthy new roots. I moved it to an area where it gets more sun and it is finally producing new leaves. I've noticed that established clumps don't take so long to green up. My brother has his backyard fence lined with pampas grass. The grass has been there for years and they always come back for him early in the growing season.

Hope this has helped. Good Luck.

o

It was slow to come back here in Nebraska Z4/5 too, this year. But finally, it is now about 2-3 foot tall. I think everything is slower this year. Iris are finishing up, peonies are blooming good now, as well as some lilies. My Hagley Hybred and Lasurstern clematis are blooming great at this time. I've only seen 1 hummingbird, and that was on May 5th. Really a bummer. I guess that is an over all of my floweres and Pampas Grass. Really more than you wanted, but... Oh Yes, my Karly Rose is about 1 1/2 foot tall too. I am glad it made it through our Z4/5 winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here