Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miscanthus sinensis Rigoletto

Posted by plantgnome 6b//7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 12 at 16:32

Planted this beauty in August of 2010- already is getting huge. I have tall Solidago behind it-hopefully rigoletto doesn't overpower the Solidago.
DSCF0492

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miscanthus sinensis Rigoletto

That is very nice. Does it keep the variegation going into the heat of summer, or does it fade?

o

Yes fortunately it does keep its variegation just as you see in the photo all summer. Gets about 3 hours of am sun and a few hours late afternoon. the only place on my property that gets full sun all day is in the front. This grass is planted in my back yard.

o

I'll be interested in another photo with the Solidago in bloom.

From this camera angle, it looks like the grass is too close, and may eat up the Solidago.

The 'Rigoletto' is gorgeous.

o

Usually by July the Solidago is 7 feet tall so I am hoping it creates a nice look. As we all know solidago spreads like wildfire, So I'll probably thin it out as the grass spreads. About 2 feet behind the solidago is an 8 foot (in late summer) Lord Baltimore Hibiscus. All make for an eyecatching sight.

o

I've tried Solidago 'Fireworks' in two spots in the garden, and in one container. In the ground, it gets half-sun and 3/4 sun, and only does fair. In the container, it gets full sun and the heat of a blacktop driveway. It thrives!

o

I do believe this is Fireworks-I have divided it so many times I lost the tag. In this area I get a good amount of sun and the slates next to the area reflect a good amount of heat.
I will post when the Solidago is in bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here