Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone successfully overwinter Purple Fountain Grass?

Posted by shelli563 zone 6 MA (My Page) on
Mon, May 4, 09 at 17:01

I overwintered 6 clumps in my attic and brought them outdoors to acclimate a few weeks ago. So far, no signs of life. Should I see something by now? Anyone successfully overwinter?

Shelli

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone successfully overwinter Purple Fountain Grass?

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, May 4, 09 at 17:35

I've never tried to hold them over, but they are a real warm-weather lover. Even if they did survive, I wouldn't look for much action until the weather warms up substantially. I grow them as annuals, and they don't kick into high gear until June-July.

o

I haven't had luck either. I am a zone 6-er. I also placed a plant in my basement, it is now outside and showing no signs of life. I don't expect anything from it now but I had to try!

o

I took mine in one fall and grew it as a houseplant. It lost it's purple coloring, but it added some interesting texture to my houseplant collection that winter. I planted it in the garden the next spring and it took off as usual.

Good luck!

o

I also tried them as houseplants. Bought on clearance for a $1 in September, thought it was worth a try. One died within a month, the other died in January right after producing a few plumes. I'm assuming they are dead although I will bring them out this week and sees what happens.

o

I should have mentioned that they don't like full sun if you grow them indoors ... just bright indirect.

o

I also overwintered Purple Fountain grass as a houseplant, quite successfully. As mentioned above, I placed in front of a large, north-facing window and it did great, with minimal watering. I cut it back in mid-May and placed it outdoors and it is sending up new growth nicely. Good luck!

o

Awesome thread and tips from judi and steve! Glad I saw this thread. I will put this in my notes too. I guess, it should also be added that they should be dug before frost kills them. It's my first time growing them too! :)

Thanks folks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here