Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ribbon grass - what have I gotten myself into?

Posted by beth_in_bend 5 Central OR (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 07 at 17:29

We moved into our house last year and I planted about three things, one being ribbon grass. (We have never gardened before, and I was so proud that it actually came back this year!) This year my husband asked me to plant more of them. I have since discovered that I may have made a huge mistake with the ribbon grass, due it's invasive nature. It has about two feet of space on each side. Should I pull it out or just let it go? Is it too late?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ribbon grass - what have I gotten myself into?

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, May 31, 07 at 18:53

There are several different varieties of Ribbon Grass. Some are very invasive, and others aren't. In any case, in your zone, you should be able to control it pretty easily.

Don't over-water it. Use physical barriers to control it's spread. Root prune it to maintain the size you want. Shovel prune it to keep it out of places you don't want it to go.

Finally, there are lots and lots of grasses which are just as easy to grow, just as attractive and not at all invasive. Don't limit yourself to one type of grass. There are so many other forms, textures and colors to play with in the grass world.

o

Mine is in full sun and I rarely water it...kinda neglected, I guess is what I'm trying to say. LOL
Anyway, it stays put. I haven't had any problems with it becoming invasive as long as I'm not too nice to it. *grin

RENEE

o

I planted one ribbon grass last spring. I was kinda worried about having to control it too, but, find it hasn't "gone wild"-----yet. Mine is planted in full sun, and, a spot that doesn't stay "wet" too long. I am still working on that area and plan to have a rather thick mulch on it in a couple of weeks. That will help control it, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here