Fri, May 12, 06 at 17:41

I sowed some seed of perennial grasses I haven't tried yet:

Koeleria glauca, Large Blue Hairgrass
Bouteloua gracilis, Blue Grama Grass, Mosquito Grass
Melica transsilvanica 'Red Spire' Pearl Grass

Anyone grown these?

I also have a few clumps each of some annuals sprouting:

Lagurus ovatus, from seed I gathered last year
Pennisetum glaucum 'Purple Majesty' first time I've gotten germination in 2 years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying new (to me) grasses

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Fri, May 12, 06 at 22:57

I grow Koeleria glauca and Melica transsilvanica. I've got Koeleria in the rock garden where it's behaving quite nicely. I started it from seed last year and had very nice clumps going by fall. This spring I gave it a trim and it's already filled out very nice and I'm looking forward to it's bloom.

Melica transsilvanica is very easy from seed, and if allowed to will seed out in your garden. I generally harvest the stems early for drying (they just pull up out of the sheath with no effort). The plant is a lighter green in colour, shoots out of the ground really early in the year. It gets a little floppy but a mid-season shearing (after the initial bloom) won't hurt it one bit - it'll just keep on growing and blooming. The blooms are worth the little extra trouble this plant might be.

I've also grown Lagurus ovatus and Purple Majesty, again for the dried blooms more than ornamental value. Nothing special for the Lagurus - easy as pie. The Purple Majesty performs best with heat and I've found benefits from a couple applications of Miracle Grow. Don't let the seedlings become rootbound in their pots - stunts the growth of the plant for the rest of the season.

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sat, May 13, 06 at 11:23

Thanks, Pudge. That'll be helpful info.

o

In a recent purchase of a large number of grasses from a woman selling her entire grass nursery I obtained several pots of Bouteloa gracilis. I can only testify to its appearance in winter clothes and if that look says anything I'm very excited to have this plant. The flowers are held sideways off the stem and look beautiful and unusual in low winter sun. Have fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here