Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donn_

I DIG grass! ;)

donn_
17 years ago

Yesterday and today I dug and potted up 50 ornamental grasses, which were wintersown last year. I need their nursery bed for other purposes, and had no place but nursery pots to put them for now.

Mostly potted in 300's, several 400's and a few 600's.

21 Festuca glauca

8 Festuca mairei

2 Nassella tenuissima

6 Stipa capillata (300's)

8 Briza media

1 Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Moudry'

4 Pennisetum alopecuroides

I have at least that many more to do.

Comments (5)

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

Donn,
    Duh.... what are 300's 400's & 600's?? Is that a pot size?

Could you attach a photo to show us the size of the grasses from winter sown seed??
    And by last year do you mean the winter of 2005/2006 or 2004/2005?
    Inquiring minds and all that :o)

Nice to know that someone else is hard at work doing all this dividing & potting. It is getting to the 'too late' stage for all my grasses now. The grasses are too big & the forecasted temperatures too high.

• donn_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Those are indeed pot sizes. The 300, AKA Trade Gallon, is ~3 quarts. The 400 is ~1 gallon, and the 600 is ~1.6 gallons.

These plants were all sown in February-April of 2005, so they're all just over 1 year old.

Here's a shot of all 50 of them, nestled into the pathways of my mandala bed. They'll be banked into a couple of woodchip beds soon, one in full sun, and one in part shade, according to their preferences. I'll probably lay out soaker hoses over the top of each pot, to handle the watering.

{{gwi:858034}}

Here (left-to-right) are a Nassella tenuissima in a 300, a Briza media in a 400 and a Festuca mairei in a 600:

{{gwi:858036}}

• pezhead
    17 years ago

Nice pics Donn and very nice grasses of course. Here outside Portland I've come to the near end of my dividing/repotting of the 500-600 grasses in 1 and 2 gallon pots that I purchased from a woman who had been running a small nursery and whose hands were too arthritic to continue working grasses. 60% Miscanthus plants of at least 20 varieties as well as many Pennisetum, Bromus, Carex, Schizachryium, Andropogon, and many others. After many trips to gather free pots at nurseries etc and weeks of hand numbing work we now have over 1200 plants and are trying to sell some!! 2 farmers markets in 2 weeks and have sold 5 grasses..haha. Hopefully things will pick up! Anyone finds themselves in Oregon must stop in and have a look! I'll try and get pics up -- anyone have tips on the easiest way to do that?

• donn_
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Pez...first you have to store the pics on a web-server like photobucket.com.

Then you use HTML image syntax to plug a link to the photo's location into a post:

Remove the spaces just inside the symbols, and substitute the actual URL of your photo. It should look something like this:

http://www.photobucket/yada-yada-yada/whatever.jpg

Have you offered some of your grasses to the nurseries you were scrounging pots from? I've sold quite a few to local nurseries and landscapers.

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

Pez,
    Just another grass selling suggestion.
    We have done an 'open garden' in the fall. Two weekends in September. I label all the grasses in our garden so people can walk around and see what they will look like full grown. I don't have room or the facilities to keep my grasses potted so I make a list of how many divisions I will have available and then take orders for the following spring. Most of these divisions are split and lined out in a holding bed the spring before and are ready to pop into pots the following spring. A '300' size division easily becomes a '400' or '600' with only one summer in the ground.
    So, come the busy spring season, I don't have to deal with the business of actual selling ~ just the pick-up and money exchange.
    I must mention that the orders made in the fall, with no 'money down' were ALL picked up the following spring. Amazing!
    A.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions