Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
skin reaction to miscanthus?

Posted by diygardener z6/NJ (My Page) on
Wed, May 31, 06 at 18:04

Has anyone else experienced this? I just planted two miscanthus adagio--the sharp blades must have scratched my arms because now I have burning welts all over them! Have applied aloe which seems to be cooling things down. I just did a google search but only came up with one vague reference to this problem. Had no idea planting grass could be so treacherous!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: skin reaction to miscanthus?

The edges of many grasses are sharp. My husband and I both cut our hands and arms the first time we cut them back after the winter. Not quite a burning welt, but nasty scratches.

My daughter gets rashes from playing on certain lawns from the grass, so I wouldn't be surprised if ornamental grass can cause allergies too.

o

Not allergies (except for from pollen) but mechanical damage -- that is, scratches from those fine sawtooth-edged blades.

o

This morning I removed old blades from my red fountain grass and it does the same thing to me. It also irritated my skin when I first planted it. I find that washing my arms off and applying hydrocortizone helps.

o

They look so pretty in the garden that I guess it was worth the "burn," but when it comes time to divide them in the future I think I'll give the job to dh--or wear long sleeves and rubber gloves!

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 1, 06 at 13:19

They make gauntlet gloves, especially for Rose growers, which protect your forearms. If they work for Rose thorns, they'll work for grass. I have to use arm covers, which go from wrist to armpit, to clear English Ivy. It affects me the same way Poison Ivy does, and I still have a lot to eradicate. Even after killing it with RoundUp, I get contact dermatitis from it.

o

I've reacted the same way to my miscanthus. I planted three last summer and got a few nasty scratches on my forearms, which turned red and burned. I now wear long sleeves when I touch miscanthus.

o

Really late to this post. Miscanthus adagio causes skin reactions because each blade has tiny, spike-like hairs on them. Wear long sleeves when trimming them or after working with them immediately take a ball of tape, using an up and down motion on your arms or take tape and press it flat on your arms and then remove it...do it several times....this removes the offending spikes. My arms did the same thing after I planted my first adagio...the tape really works! Of course I never planted any more....and now I wear long-sleeves when cutting back the one I have.

o

Interesting... I was going the the grasses at Meijer today and my arms were itching for hours.... Like I had 20 mosquito bites.... I thought something must have eaten me up at the store... and then I ran across this thread!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here