Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusgarden_gw

Elliot's Love Grass

cactusgarden
12 years ago

I am very disappointed in this grass. I bought 7 of them from Santa Rosa expecting something a bit more "tussocky". Previously, I had it in full all day sun, sandy soil with good drainage so I know its not my conditions causing its let-down due to an unfavorable situation. I moved them, tying together the leaf blades and blooming stalks and keeping the rootball in tact with plenty of soil, to a less visible spot in the back yard. They didn't go into shock or suffer at all. I did however, it was heavy lifting and then having to haul dirt to fill the large holes left.

It is a very fast grower, I will say that. I am sure its an aggressive seeder. However, for me the biggest fault lies in the way they split in the middle and the flower stalks also split in the middle with some of the blades lying on the ground and over all, it looks messy with everything happening more or less along the sides of the clump making for a limp look in my opinion. The flowers have not opened yet and are on much taller stalks than I expected. I am hoping when its "hazier looking" when the blooms open, it will be better looking but I imagine they will serve as place holders in my garden until something better replaces them. If the flower stalks were shorter, I think they would look better and maybe with age the plant appearance improves. Time will tell if they last long enough in my garden to see for myself.

Has anyone else grown this? Does age make it better? Mine were 4" pots late last summer and the ones I moved were easily 3 gallon sized plants. I have a Weeping Lovegrass which I like much better because it stays full in the center The Elliot's Love Grass are nearly as large. About 4 feet, if you pull up the sprawling bloom stalks.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions