Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pampas grass growth, or lack thereof.

Posted by staceybeth 7 MA (My Page) on
Fri, May 28, 10 at 19:05

I planted 2 dwarf pampas grass in a bald spot in front of my house last spring. During the summer, no plumes... nothing.. just green.... in the fall, i cut them down to the stump.. and now it just the beginning of June and both of them are still little brown stumps. Will they ever grow back.. or, are they dead. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pampas grass growth, or lack thereof.

• Posted by donn_ 7b, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sat, May 29, 10 at 7:30

Chances are they are goners. Tug on the stumps and see if they feel like they are strongly rooted.

I'm going through this now with several grasses, including some which may be hardy in my zone and some which certainly are hardy here.

I installed three Arundo 'Peppermint Stick" plants last fall, after growing them on in 15 gallon pots through the summer. One started re-growth in mid-April, and another just started this week. The third is still silent.

I planted 3 each Pennisetum 'Prince' and 'Princess' last summer, and all 6 grew with abandon. They were gorgeous. So far, none have re-grown. We had a zone 8 winter, so I had high hopes. It doesn't look good.

o

I did tug on them and they seem firmly rooted. .however I think I am going to dig them up anyway.. as I did some research on them and I dont think they are good for my garden. I may put them in a container instead and see if they are going to grow... Oh boy. back to the drawing board with that spot in my front yard.

o

I just bought some dwarf pampas grass,i am trying to hide a ugle chain link fence.I was told befor i plant it i could split the rootball in half and make two plants out of one.Is this true?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here