Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prairie dropseed growing very slowly

Posted by georgia_transplant 7b (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 08 at 19:36

I planted my prairie dropseed (7 plants in all) in full sun about 7-8 weeks ago. They came in 4-inch pots, so really small. Since then, the plants look good, but they have maybe only doubled in height. (Maybe 6-8 inches tall now.)

I read this grass is a slow grower - will it start to take off when it gets alot warmer? (My soil is clay. Before planting, I dug up the top 8-10 inches, added 1-2 inches compost, mixed it all up.)

What is your experience with this grass with regard to growth rate?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prairie dropseed growing very slowly

Sporobolus heterolepis is a warm season, full sun grass. It's going to push much faster after a few more weeks of warming weather...still going to be a moderate speed grower at best. If they have doubled in height already in zone 7, they're doing just fine. They'll probably reach nearly 2' by August, and you'll see some late summer/early fall flowering. That's also the time when the foliage is going to look really interesting! They're not going to make huge clumps the first year.

o

Good to hear. I look forward to fall.

Thanks alot grass guy! I've learned alot from your posts.

o

I agree with grass guy, your dropseed is doing well if it's already doubled in size. It definitely likes the hot weather and good drainage. Be patient, it is well worth the wait. It's probably my favorite OG.

o

Thanks dawgie. From the photos I've seen of this grass, I think I'll love it.

o

BTW, my name is dawgie because I'm a Georgia grad (altho I live in NC now). Go Dawgs!

o

That's funny dawgie-I was wondering that when I saw your screenname!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here