Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miscanthes Sinesis 'Silber Feder'

Posted by pjt108 6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 07 at 19:49

I have five of these grasses that are about six years old - they have always fallen over and looked messy - now they are enormous and impossible to deal with - I divided them two years ago and now those transplants are completely out of control - any suggestions as to how I can get these grasses to stand upright?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miscanthes Sinesis 'Silber Feder'

I'd try staking and lassoing, or use wire cages around the lower 2 feet. You'll need about a 10 ft section to make a 3 ft diameter clump.

Also, trim back the outer culms at the base as they break and/or droop outward.

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Tue, May 22, 07 at 6:14

Another technique is to use remesh, the 6" square concrete reinforcement mesh sold at the big box home repair stores. Cut an approximate circle out of it and wire it to rebar stakes driven into the ground. Rig it about 2' off the ground, so the grass grows up through it. The growing grass will hide the mesh, and the mesh will support the grass.

o

I like that idea Donn! Hidden by the grass.

o

an adaptation to Donn's idea... You might be able to delete the rebar stakes. Just lay the mesh on top of the grass after it reaches about a foot or so off the ground. The grass will grow through it and the stems act together to provide the support.
A friend of mine uses a similar method with Geraniums, Sedums, Peonies, etc. It works great & you never see the support system after the first couple of weeks.
a.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here