Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hakonechloa care

Posted by dorthey2 z8 (My Page) on
Sun, May 14, 06 at 20:04

Just wanted to know how to care for this grass. Watering, sun, shade? Any info would be great.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hakonechloa care

Hakone grass likes lots of shade, and moist well-drained soil. It can take some morning sun, but does not like hot afternoon sun. It is a slow-growing grass, but very beautiful -- nothing else like it.

o

Thanks for the info DH bought some and but didn't know anything about it. When that happens he says go on that site and find out what you can. He should become a member.

o

I planted three clumps of Hakone grass last fall, and all three are coming up nicely this spring. It will probably take another year or two to really fill out, but I'm excited about this one none-the-less. I planted them on the north side of the house, under a lace-leaf japanese maple. Mostly shade other than a couple hours of early morning sun.

o

It also grows beautifully in a pot! I have a pot of each variety on my patio and they make a beautiful showing once they get going. Bonus of having them in a pot is .. they get a little more care, no competition and therefore seem to bulk up a little faster.
I have the plain green, species and the yellow & green varigation and the white & green varigation ~ all are winners!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here