Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Tall grass prairie species in the garden

mdahms1979
10 years ago

I recently put in a large bed along the property line/fence in my front yard. This is an urban setting in a neighborhood where the gardens are all quite small and filled with the usual foundation plantings of shrubs and not much else.
The bed is planted with Miscanthus sinensis 'Gracillimus' , purpurescens, and Huron Sunrise closest to the fence and back of the bed with three plants of each variety. The rest of the bed is interplanted with about a dozen little bluestem, echinacea pallida, Echinacea Flame Thrower, Asclepias tuberosa, Pearly everlasting, blue flax, Salvia nemerosa, catmint, blue hair grass, blue oat grass, Baptista Solar Flare and Russian Sage.
I am finishing the area that runs along the front of the house beside a large low growing gold Juniper. There will be blue oat grass, Opuntia, Yucca, and various other grasses. I am going to add some height using grasses but am unsure of my choices. I have Panicum Dallas Blues as well as two small pots if young Indian Grass as well as Side Oat Grama Grass and seeds for Big Bluestem.
Will Big Bluestem and Indian Grass seed too aggressively for an urban garden even though it will be quite natural in appearance? Will Side Oat Grama Grass do well interplanted or will it tend to spread instead of clump?

Mike

Comments (7)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional
More Discussions