Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple maiden grass not coming back!

Posted by mitchb2 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 20, 06 at 20:36

I planted 3 purple maiden grass plants last May.
They got huge over the summer.

In the first week of April this year, I cut the brown, dry grass down to about 6".

So far, there's no new growth!
When I walk around the neighborhood, I see that everyone else's is coming up strong.

When should I be worried?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple maiden grass not coming back!

Are you 'sure' that you planted purple maiden grass and not purple fountain grass??
The only maiden grass that fits that name is Miscanthus purpurescens BUT, it is not purple. Rather it is green for most of the season and then turns a good flame red in the fall.
On the other hand Purple fountain grass will get quite large over one summer, it is purple for the whole summer BUT ~ is not the least bit hardy in your zone.

o

You're right...I meant fountain grass.
Dang...this was put in by a "professional" landscaper. he should have known this.

o

Hi mitch,

You can get quarts of it at the big box stores for 5 bucks or so. I love it and wish it were hardy but happily spend a bit each yr. to have it, it's worth it IMO!

o

Purple fountain grass is grown as an annual in most areas. It isn't winter hardy unless you live in some place like Florida or California. However, as Lucy mentioned, it is easy to find in big box stores these days for $5 or so per plant and grows very fast.

o

Thanks, everyone. I was going to make the landscaper replace it since there is a 1-year warranty on all the plants, but in light of what I learned here, that would be petty. I'll head out and buy some today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here