Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buyorsell888

Are some Hakonechloas weaker than others?

buyorsell888
12 years ago

I have had 'All Gold', solid green, and 'Albo-striata' for years and they've been great.

In the last two years I came upon Aureola', 'Fubuki', 'Stripe it Rich', 'Beni Kaze', 'Nicolas', 'Naomi' and 'Sunny Delight' in 4" pots cheap so I bought and planted them all, same general area and conditions as the ones I've had for years.

'Nicolas', 'Fubuki', 'Stripe it Rich' and 'Naomi' are barely growing.

They all looked treat when I bought them. A couple were held over in pots and not planted until they all were last fall. The bed I bought them for wasn't ready, they were fine over last winter in pots but this winter in the ground they aren't coming back.

Comments (7)

• donn_
    12 years ago

My experience with Hakone is limited, but they do seem to be very very slow growers at first. I have 4 in the ground; 2 'Aureola' and 2 plain green, since 2008. The were very slow to establish, but just started popping last year, and look like they'll be double the size again this year.

Last summer I planted three 'Beni-Kaze' and while all three have come back this year, they are no larger than they were when I planted them (3" pots).

I have potted copies of 'All Gold,' 'Fubuki,' 'Naomi' and 'Nicolas' waiting to either be potted on or installed in nursery beds. Of all of them, the 'All Gold' are the largest, 4" pots but several inches tall and very robust.

I imagine a category of plants like this, which is growing in number rapidly, with cross-breeding and tissue culture, will have lots of winners and losers. It reminds me a little of the early days of Hosta. Many new introductions succeeded and many failed miserably.

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    12 years ago

When I say barely growing I mean two or three leaves. IF they were still as nice as when I planted them, I'd be thrilled.

In my experience, 'All Gold' is the most vigorous. Mine is going on four years from a 4" pot and is about 18" in diameter now just coming up with the leaves not fully extended yet. It will likely have a 24" diameter when they are all the way grown.

'Beni Kaze' and 'Aureola' already look like gallon sized plants.

'All Gold' today:

• donn_
    12 years ago

That 'All Gold' is brilliant!

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is , I just love it.

• cfranke
    12 years ago

I bought about 10 hakonechloa Nicolas to border a shady bed last year and none of them turned red, not even pale orange or yellow. They all stayed just the medium green they started out as. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a factor of the age of the plant? I do have one 2 year old plant of the same variety in the same bed which also stayed green. I am thinking of asking for a refund or exchange as they did not perform as expected with the appropriate siting.

• donn_
    12 years ago

Mine get a little color, but I don't think my autumns are cool enough to really get them going. They are also young (2-3 years), so we'll see how they do when they age.

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have no idea why that photo link is broken, I didn't move the photo.

Anyway, NONE of mine that are supposed to turn red in fall ever have done much....However, I haven't had them very long.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?