Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something like liriope for Zone 5?

Posted by sbs9 z5b PA (My Page) on
Thu, May 25, 06 at 21:28

Can anyone recommend something similar to liriope that is hardy in zone 5b in part-shade?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something like liriope for Zone 5?

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sun, May 28, 06 at 12:44

The closest thing I can think of is Sesleria caerulea, Blue Moor Grass. Unlike Liriope, it's actually a grass, and doesn't spread as fast, but makes an attractive groundcover.

What do you plan to do with it? That might make it easier to suggest something.

o

• Posted by sbs9 z5b PA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 29, 06 at 22:48

That's odd. I replied to this yesterday but it's missing..

Thanks for the suggestion - Blue Moor Grass looks like a possibility. I will try and find some locally to look at.

I have a 15'x3' area in front of the garage that I'd like to plant with an ornamental grass. Something about 12-15" tall with broad dark blades. Flowering would be nice, but not required. That spot gets about 4 hrs direct sunlight in the summer, and maybe 1 hr in the winter.

Thanks again!

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Tue, May 30, 06 at 6:18

It looks like my post from yesterday disappeared in the server glitch.

I suggested mixing in more than one kind of grass. Look at Luzula nivea and Luzula sylvatica, as well as the cultivars of Deschampsia.

Spend some time looking at the grasses at bluestem.ca. They're a Canadian website specializing in grasses for colde climates.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestem

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here