Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ornamental grasses

Posted by Kwinter 4mn (My Page) on
Sat, May 14, 05 at 22:00

I have an area that is rocked with a plastic liner under the rock to prevent weeds. I would like to plant ornamental grasses there. Will the rock and plastic present a problem with their growth? I understand grasses like to spread and I don't think they would be able to with the rock and plastic...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ornamental grasses

• Posted by Pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Sat, May 14, 05 at 22:46

Yes, the plastic will present a problem. As well as restricting growth, the soil won't get any moisture or air underneath the plastic. If you want to keep the plastic under the rock, your best option for plants is containers set on top of the rocks. There are nice annual grasses you could plant in them that would serve this purpose well and in the right container (maybe some made of hypertufa?) would look nice. Downside is, you'd have to plant those containers every year. Upside - your bed remains weed free.

o
RE: ornamental grasses

There are grasses that do well in containers, provided their pots are big enough and have excellent drainage. Below is a link to a good site with lots of information. (Scroll midway down the page for tips on growing in containers.) FYI, cool-season grasses break dormancy and green up earlier.

Here is a link that might be useful: Limerock-grasses in containers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here