Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying this ornamental grass please

Posted by solrac6262 none (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 11 at 22:17

Hello all

for some reason I can't find whats the name of this grass, if someone can help I was thinking Ice dance or something similar I might be wrong since they are a lot of varieties ..
thanks
<

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying this ornamental grass please

Can you give us a photo of a single blade, so we can see the variegation more clearly?

There are a couple of Carex morrowii, including 'Ice Dance' and 'Ice Ballet' which have green center blades with white margins. The variegation in 'Ice Ballet' is the more distinct of the two, but 'Ice Dance' is a more established cultivar.

o

close up picture : ) <

Uploaded with ImageShack.us">

o

That looks like a Lirope to me, not a grass. A variegated kind. Does it get purple blooms? Donn is much better than me at this but thats what I think it is.

o

I don't know lol... i didnt pay attention last year, sorry.. right now its got like tiny plumes in light color

o

Woops. I just read the last part of your post. I think I had this on the brain because of another lirope question and am newly assessing the stuff invading into my yard from next door and am feeling a bit lirope-phobic right now. Never mind. Ha!

o

I'm almost certain it's a Sedge, but beyond that, things get fuzzy.

As has been noted, there are so many Carex varieties, and there has been so little done to categorize them completely, ID is difficult at best.

I don't think it's one of the popular C. morrowii cultivars like 'Ice Dance' or 'Ice Ballet.' The variegation just isn't vivid enough. It may be C. morrowii 'variegata,' but even that has more apparent variegation. There are green-only versions of C. morrowii, and this may be a blend between that and C.m.'variegata.' It could also be a sport of another Carex like C. flacca, C. nigra, C. sylvatica or C. pensylvanica.

If you really want to chase it down, we need more photos and more information. A closeup of the bloom would be a big help. Does it produce offsets, and if so, where do they occur in relation to the mother plant?

A note: It looks like you trimmed it at the wrong time; too late in its growing cycle. The slightly slanted ends on the blades indicate it was trimmed after the new growth had begun. The trimmed blades continued to grow in length, but show the trimming at their ends.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here