Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do you see new growth?

Posted by firstyeargardener 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 9, 13 at 22:45

We moved to our current house last August. The house has a lovely garden in the back and this is the first year we are watching the plants come up. Everything has started blooming and most plants have new growth expect 5 ornamental grasses. Sorry, I don't know what type of grass it is. Is it common not to see any new growth this time of the year? They look like straw. I've posted a picture of what they look like right now. I really hope we haven't lost these plants.

I live near Toronto, Ontario Canada. I think we are either zone 5 or 6.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do you see new growth?

It may not be late for them to start sprouting. The Toronto area ranges from (US) zone 4 (furthest from the lake) to zone 7. If you are in a colder microclimate, everything in the cycle of a warm season grass will be behind warmer zones.

o

These types of grasses are known as warm season grasses, meaning they really do not start growing until both the soil and the air warm up to appropriate temperatures. Much of the country has experienced colder and later typical spring weather so not unusual for these grasses to be slow. All sorts of plants are several weeks to a month behind "schedule".

o

I live about 2 hours from Toronto and am in Zone 5a. I have many grasses that have no growth yet.
If they were Purple Fountain grass from last year they won't as it is just an annual grass. I assume you pruned them at some point.
You will just have to wait and see I am afraid.

Debbie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here