Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathybeachgirl_gw

Pennisetum setaceum 'Rumbrum' Grass at Lowe's in western MA

kathybeachgirl
16 years ago

I live in zone 5 in western MA. Last year in 2006 I purchased 10 purple fountain grass plants (Pennisetum setaceum 'Rumbrum') at Lowe's in Springfield, MA. Being an amateur gardener I was surprised to see the plant tags for these ornamental grasses have this written on front: "A perennial where roots are not subjected to freezing." Also, the plant tag said "1 year guarantee on every plant".

So I double-check with a garden representative at Lowe's to make sure this information was correct and that the grass won't die over the winter. The guy working said it was correct. So I bought 10 plants and planted them. Now (May 16, 2007) I do not see any growth. I have already complained to Lowe's about this. The plant tag is misleading with that statement! Even with their 1 year guarantee on the plant tag made no sense in this region, for this plant. Does anyone know if this is a variation of the purple fountain grass that is suppose to be an annual in this region I am in?

Thanks!

(Home Depot's tag for this same kind of plant says "Tender Perennial")

Comments (4)

• donn_
    16 years ago

The plant tag was correct. The grass is a perennial where there is no ground freeze. That doesn't include your zone, so for you, it's an annual. Many gardeners in northern climates use them as annuals, buying new ones every year.

• kathybeachgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It seems that is correct. However, the plant tag says "not subjected to freezing." And Lowe's indicates a 1-year guarantee. Now I just think they wrote this tag wrong, or it should have gone to a store in a different zone. I think I will return the 10 plants anyways based on what their tag says.
    Thanks for your help.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

I'm not sure what you think was misleading about the tag - it seems quite clear to me that it indicates this grass will NOT act as a perennial in areas subject to freezing temperatures (anywhere below zone 10). Obviously the know-nothings at Lowe's gave you conflicting and incorrect information and you are certainly justified in acting on their guaranty.

FWIW, Lowe's and the other box stores consistantly sell plants outside of their hardiness zones, so it is a case of buyer beware, especially as you will never get knowledgeable information from any of their so-called "garden professionals" - however, since they do so with a 1 year guaranty, you may feel it worth the risk (and the effort) of replanting annually. Believe it or not, the return rate and the refunding under their guaranty policy is really very low.

Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum' is considered an annual and not winter hardy pretty much everywhere in the country except for Southern California and parts of the deep South.

• grass_guy
    16 years ago

It is what it is...a low cost super center, without the service knowledge of a specialty shop/garden center.

Their 'garden pros' know as much of gardening as I do about plumbing (long story).

If you want to buy plants from a big box store and aren't sure, go home look the plant up in a book or internet and return to buy, armed with your own knowledge.

I agree, the tag sounds like it did make sense and accurately described a tender perennial.

Sponsored
More Discussions