Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjtn65

Knott Weed???

pjtn65
17 years ago

Has anyone ever heard of Knott Weed, this is all I ever heard my mother call it. Its a beautiful cane type plant that has blooms on a small branch or stem..which turn a very crimson red in the fall. Grows Very Tall ..maybe this post should be in the bamboo Topic. :)

PJ

Comments (5)

• donn_
    17 years ago

Japanese Knotweed, Polygonum cuspidatum, is a very invasive perennial.

• greenthumbgardener
    17 years ago

I have a smaller growing type of knotweed that I bought about 15 years ago. It looked beautiful with its pink tuft of flowers. Little did I know what I was in for. Every year I think it is all gone, but more seems to pop up. I can't do anything too drastically, because it is growing next to my fish pool. Everyone seems to like it except me. I should have known better, since I am a master gardener.
    Bill

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

I'm suprised no one has posted a bit more emphatically about this plant. It is on the noxious weed list of nearly every state in the nation as well as many foreign countries. It is extremely adaptable to a variety of conditions and has naturalized rampantly in some ares. In my state, erradication, if growing on your property, is a requirement.

There are supposedly non-invasive cultivars of Polygonum cuspidatum, but I wouldn't like to test that theory:-) Most members of this family - that includes persicaria, fallopia, tobira as well as polygonum - have very aggressive growth habits, although few that I know of that are quite so incredibly rampant and robust as the Japanese knotweed.

Your reference to the bamboo forum is not all that unusual - another common name for this plant is Mexican bamboo. The hollow, jointed canes do resemble those of bamboo and many bamboos can spread just as aggressively as the knotweed. And they are not any harder to remove from unwanted locatons :-)

In short, get rid of this plant or encourage your mother or her friend to do so. It's a menace!

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese knotweed

• pjtn65
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow...thanks for your posts...I am totally shocked! The knott Weed that my mother had was back in a corner of her yard...which is where I was going ot put some. It didn't seem to be out of control but maybe I just didn't notice. I have an area that is full of weeds and dumped dirt from where they dug my ponds (in the back of my dog run). Four yards join at this point and wanted something that would screen them off and maybe do away with the weeds.

My brother has some that has been in the same area for years now..he just mows right up to it mowing down new growth, I suppose.

I'm wondering if maybe this is a more tame variety...if there is such a thing .:)

Thanks again for your input..
    PJ

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    17 years ago

I have a clump forming type--I can't remember if it was sold as a Persicaria or a Fallopia but its cultivar name is Crimson Beauty. It definitely does not run, though it gets very tall, outstripping early in the season an immensely tall Eupatorium. Crimson Beauty blooms open white and turn red. It is a Japanese Beetle magnet, but it isn't invasive.

I am familiar with Japanese Knotweed which is invasive to the point of taking over the world. It is pretty much ineradicable.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions