Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noki_gw

Miscanthus comparisons

noki
18 years ago

any good websites that you know of or even books that have accurate objective information about the different Miscanthus (height, uprightness, plume color, differences in responding to growing conditions)... so one could compare and choose different vartieties

Comments (4)

• donn_
    18 years ago

The Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses and The Color Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses each have a modestly good section on Miscanthus.

On the web, the best resource, bar none, is Google and Google Images.

• noki
    Original Author
    18 years ago

well, i have tried Goggle, and do find some info, but the sites are either trying to sell plants so every plant is described as great and not too big/or big and impressive...descriptions contradict. then there are college ag sites which are very dry and often have sloppy info which i know is incorrect. often the hardiness for some plants vary widely

• donn_
    18 years ago

That's the classic problem with any kind of research, no matter the medium, and no matter the subject.

I think I recall that you are in Columbus. Go into OSU's library, which, for matters agricultural, is an exceptional one. Pick any specific plant, grass or otherwise, and spend a few hours researching it. You'll find more discord than agreement on issues that may appear to be able to be defined in a clear cut way.

"..every plant is described as great and not too big/or big and impressive...descriptions contradict."

That's not only because they're selling plants. That's because opinions differ, and conditions differ. Bluestem, which is a commercial ornamental grass and willow company, lists grass spacing for all their plants. The spacing they suggest is a wide range, and they explain why. The following line is a part of their explanation:

"For the most part, it comes down to personal taste and what you want in a landscape."

Physical characteristics of plants, although they may seem to be definable, really aren't. If you were to write a complete description of a certain grass, you'd have to consider every variable that impacts it's physical development. It does this in full sun, and this in part shade; this in rich soil and this in lean soil; this in dry circumstances, and this in the wet. Then, of course, you have to mix-and-match the variables...light shade and wet rich soil v. light shade in dry sandy soil...and on and on.

I guess my point is that you have to collect all the data you can, and analyze it for objectivity and accuracy. This way, when you make your decision, it'll at least be an educated WAG!

• PeteJ
    18 years ago

Try the link below. Does not have a massive number of Miscanthus varieties but does allow a bit of comparison between them and other grasses. I am sure there are other similar sites out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal Horticultural Society plant selector

Sponsored
More Discussions