Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactusgarden_gw

All Native Grass Garden

cactusgarden
12 years ago

I went to the History Museum to shoot these photos to share here on the grass forum. It is planted entirely in native grasses. This is my favorite garden and what got me started on this grass obsession I am now on. It is even more beautiful in the fall especially when the smokey pink seed heads of the Prairie Dropseed is in bloom along with the Three Awn which is brighter and not as "dusky" pink. The Bluestem is stunning in fall massed like this. The Sideoats Grama (Bouteloua curtipendula)are blooming heavily already and just get better and better as the season progresses.

The white seedheads shining in the late sunlight is common Purple Threeawn (Aristida purpurea).

The little bluestem is starting to form culms and seed heads. It is very "steely" blue. I notice some of it lays sideways, all one direction and some stands straighter. Don't know why but it looks good anyway. There is a very large area planted entirely in Gulf Muhly, not looking real interesting yet but it is stunning in fall.

I love the big rocks and the way the plants are on mounds in parts of the garden. This is a very large grass garden that uses no irrigation, just rainfall.

{{gwi:859988}}

{{gwi:859990}}

{{gwi:859992}}

{{gwi:859994}}

{{gwi:859995}}

{{gwi:859997}}

Comments (6)

Sponsored
More Discussions