Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my Miscanthus from Walmart an invasive plant?

Posted by fogbelt_steve 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 2:43

I bought a small Miscanthus grass plant at Walmart today. The label doesn't say what kind of Miscanthus it is. I've since been doing a little reading and am learning about some types being invasive, which is the last thing I want in my yard. I think I'll plant it in a pot initially until I decide where to put it. I wished I had done a little research first. Is there a chance my Walmart plant could be invasive?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my Miscanthus from Walmart an invasive plant?

In zone 9, I would expect Miscanthus to self-sow moderately. It does so in my zone. Growing in a container would not prevent this...only deadheading will.

o

Fine Gardening recently published results of some research on viability of Miscanthus seeds. They concluded that only Giganteus is truly sterile. Good Thing! In my climate they are all functionally sterile.

o

I think the invasiveness of Miscanthus sinensis is somewhat overstated. First, its seed fertility is not self-compatable. That means you need to cross 2 different cultivars of miscanthus to get fertile seed, just like you would need two different types of apples to get fruit. So growing a single variety is unlikely to result in any self seeding.

The issue arises when there are multiple types of miscanthus being planted or when neighbors may be growing other varieties. Here in my climate, we have mild enough summers that we are lucky to get miscanthus to set a good plumes or seedheads before the cold weather sets in. Seeds simply do not ripen in time to be an issue with this OG.

o

"its seed fertility is not self-compatable. That means you need to cross 2 different cultivars of miscanthus to get fertile seed...[]...when neighbors may be growing other varieties."

This is probably the issue. I only had _one_ Miscanthus, but it seeded just enough I decided last year I'd had enough. It wasn't insurmontably weedy, but it was annoying. Although, the bigger issue was I'd always intended it to be temporary, until some BLEs were big enough to be screens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here