Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple Blood Grass

Posted by wspiker 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 07 at 8:06

I am trying to find a supplier for Purple Blood Grass. I have a small pre-formed pond and now I want to put some plants around it and Purple Blood Grass is one of the plants that I'd like to use. Can anyone give me info as to finding a supplier? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple Blood Grass

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 23, 07 at 9:07

Are you thinking of Japanese Blood Grass, Imperata cylindrica 'Rubra' or 'Red Baron?' If so, use Google to search for those names, and you'll find several sources.

Be aware, zone 5 is at the bottom of this grass's hardiness range, and you may have to provide it with winter protection.

o

Imperata c. 'Red Baron' is on the noxious weed list for over 20 states, so you may want to check that first.

There are some other grasses that offer great red and burgundy coloring at various times of the year.

Panicum Shenandoah, Pennisetum Rubrum, Pennisetum Prince and Princess, Miscanthus Purpurascens are some that come to mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Panicum Shenandoah as burgundy coloring begins in summer

o

I think we've had this discussion before. Japanese blood grass, Imperata cylindrica 'Red Baron" (or less commonly 'Rubra') is a very slow to establish, slow to spread and rarely flowering (therefore seed-producing) form of cogon grass. The species IS invasive and rarely if ever seen in commerce, however I can find no evidence that has firmly concluded the cultivar 'Red Baron' produces the same aggressive behaviour and it is generally considered not to be invasive (nor is it listed on many invasive plant lists), certainly NOT in zone 5.

This grass is widely grown in my area and I've yet to encounter any reversion back to the species nor any indication of flowering/seeding or aggressive behaviour. Rather, it is an extremely slow-to-establish grass and demonstrates quite the opposite of any invasive characteristics.

o

I agree with your take on Red Baron's growing habits, Gardengal. It is, however, prohibited for shipment into over (I believe the number is 22) states at this time, as well as the commercial growing being prohibited in those same states. Wrong or right, it's an uphill battle arguing with the ag department.

I mention alternatives in keeping with those state's ag regulations, should wspiker happen to be in one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here