Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackie57_gw

Recovery of Karl Forester

blackie57
17 years ago

With the heavy rains we have been having for the past week, the new plumes on my Karl Forester grasses are starting to sprawl and droop because of the water on the seed heads and just the weight of the rain. I tied them up (just wrapped around them with some string) so they would not droop and to help them have some better support, but I was wondering, do these recover well when the sun finally does come back, or will I have to trim all these unruley stalks ?? On a couple it will be about a third of the plant. Quite disapointing, as they were just coming into their own !! Anyone with any experiance with these have any thoughts ??

Thanks

Blackie

Comments (9)

• rcongdon
    17 years ago

Mine just went through the same thing after a couple of big thunderstorms. Except for a couple of stalks that were permanently bent, they are now all upright and swaying in the breeze after drying out. This is my second year with grasses and I'm really enjoying them; due to a new drywell system last year that tore up my yard, this is the first time I've had full sun beds and planted them with several ornamental grasses. I can't believe how big they've gotten in only one year, especially the Karl Foresters.

• blackie57
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks !!! I was hoping for that answer. Mine have gotten remarkably bigger in their second season as well.
    With more rain predicted, I think i'll leave them bundled until later in the week, just to help them along.

• dutch_rondo
    17 years ago

I've had the same problem this year, not only with the Karl Foersters but with Deschampsia cespitosa as well. I stalked all of them to help them regain their upright stance. After a couple of days, the Deschampsia could do without stalking. The Karl Foersters however never fully recovered from the damage that the rain had caused and are still bending more than they normally do.

• flybynyte
    17 years ago

Let's see. I think this is the 3rd year of my KF. I was kinda bummed when parts of my KF went "lax" in the heavy rains. Especially the first couple years. Now that they have matured, they seem to be doing much better---though, most of the plant has always seemed to bounce back. Undoubtedly, there is a few stray stems from some earlier heavy rains and wind, but, I just clean them up a little when I am out in the yard working. I thoroughly enjoy my KF---mine have gotten a bit taller this year. In the first couple of years, they seem to stay even with the joe-pye-weed ('Gateway'). This year they have passed 'Gateway'---for the time being.

• blackie57
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey there Jake, been real busy as I see you have been as well.
    Well after all the flooding and rain, they seem to have responded nicely. I did have to trim them up some because of broken fronds, and they seem to billow outward a bit more than prior to the rains, but the fronds are still that soft mauve color. I would assume when they turn that buff color they will become more rigid and stand straighter. Some drier weather is predicted for the rest of the week so hopefully htis will help. Kinda makes me feel a bit self centered worrying about these grasses, when many families around here lost everything in the floods. In my 49 years of living here, I have NEVER seen things as bad as this was.

• jake
    17 years ago

B57 -

wouldn't it be nice if your area could pipe the excess waters to the Great Plains area ?? We've been in some form of drought for several years now.

In most cases a real bad drought.

Good to read you're doing well regardless of the weather.

Jake

• tfristoe
    2 years ago

I have the same issue with my Karl Forrester‘s… If you catch it early enough, put on a rain jacket and gloves and just start ‘slapping’ the heads and lightly shaking the stocks to remove the excess water. They will immediately start standing up again. The key to the success is catching it early and if the rains keep coming will need to do this numerous times… Not a perfect solution but there such beautiful plants it’s worth the extra effort.

• Barbara Collord McGann
    last year

Some of my KF is drooping but we havent had much rain to mention. is there another reason why they are drooping?

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions
More Discussions