Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'cloud nine' switchgrass.............

Posted by sunlicious 4 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 10:05

i just purchased this ornamental grass at a local nursery. for those that have experience growing this grass, just curious as to how wide your grass may be at the base.? beginning to wonder if i may have planted this too close to a walkway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'cloud nine' switchgrass.............

Under normal circumstances, it will grow to 2-3' diameter at the base, and, as you can see from the photo below, easily 2-3 times that at the canopy.

photo Panicum_virgatum_Cloud_Nine_2009_09.jpg

It probably won't grow to it's fullest potential in your zone 4 climate.

o

Hey Donn, easy on the zone 4 comments !! :o)
Interestingly enough all my Panicums get just as tall & just as wide up here in my zone 3/4 garden as they did in my zone 5 garden.

Enjoy your grass sunlicious!
A.

o

nice pic!!!

thanks for your reponses. i think it will be fine where it is.

i tried miscanthus 'huron sunrise' and another one (slips my mind). they were varieties that some people have had success with in z4, but, mine never came back after first year of planting.

o

Poor success with the Miscanthus must have more to do with snow cover than zone?? I just looked at a zone map & I really am a zone 4a garden with lows often down to -30F. But, we have good snow cover and I garden on sandy soil. I am growing at least 10 different cultivars of Miscanthus sinensis with no losses over a 5 year period AND I am able to grow Arundo donax which I might add, is very very happy here!

The colder your winters, the more important it is to give plants that might be iffy a really early start. Don't try planting, moving or dividing at the end of the summer.

A

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here