Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Warm Season Time to Grow

Posted by Pinny 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 05 at 10:12

My Huron Sunrise is two years old. So far there is no new growth. What would be the latest date for it to start showing new growth? Thanking you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Warm Season Time to Grow

I've read that warm season grasses should be growing when the corn is coming up... but I've also read where you should give them time to wake up before getting rid of them. This year I had a Hameln that wasn't showing any signs of life and dug it around the first of June. There wasn't any white roots like when you transplant a living plant from a pot ~ the roots were brown or tan but I went ahead and gave it a temporary spot in the vegetable garden although I really think it's a goner. :(

o

Warm season grasses should be showing growth by now at varying rates.

grass_lover: Hameln never flourished in my zone 5a garden, so I dug it up and planted it in my Dad's zone 6 garden where it is doing well. I think zone 5a is "iffy" for most of the Pennisetums.

o

I know BruMeta, but I love the fountains too much to give up on them. We actually had a zone 6 winter last year and my Moudry and full sized fountain grasses both lived. I think I lost the Hameln from the clay it was planted in since it had a large clay ball attached to the roots.~~ It might be looking for trouble, but I mixed in dirt from the garden and planted another one... :) Now all I have to do is cross my fingers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here