Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Companion groundcover for blue festuca and hakonechloa

Posted by organicshadegardener 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 23, 06 at 10:24

Hi all,

I am searching for a groundcover or companion plants for some ornamental grasses, namely blue festuca and hakonechloa.

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companion groundcover for blue festuca and hakonechloa

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 23, 06 at 13:28

How about more grass? Moor Grass, to be specific, Blue Moor Grass, AKA Sesleria caerulea. It's compact, neat and hardy. The blades are blue on the top side, and dark green on the under side. They grow twisted, so both colors show at the same time. It's very easy to grow from seed, and will take a wide range of soil, sun, and, once established, water.

o
RE: Companion groundcover for blue festuca and hakonechloa

Donn is a true grass lover so it does not surprise me that he recommended more grasses :-)

OTOH, I like the look of different leaf textures and forms together, so I do combine my grasses with other plants to provide contrast. I have hakone grass in one area paired with variegated London Pride, Saxifraga x urbium 'Aureovariegata' - the saxifrage forms rosettes of evergreen foliage, spotted with yellow and tolerates shade well, even dry shade. It will produce airy stalks of pale pink flowers in late spring. I also have some Lamium 'Anne Greenaway' in another area with golden hakone - the gold colors compliment each other. Epimediums would also make a great combo, as the new growth is often tinged red, as are the stems of the hakone.

Blue fescue is most often grown in full sun and so requires different companions. One of my favorites would be sunroses, helianthemums, but those may not be hardy for you. Low growing sedums or stonecrops would work well and those with reddish tones would provide an attractive contrast. And a classic combo is fescue with woolly thyme - the foliage colors are nearly identical, they enjoy the same hot sunny position and the pink thyme flowers look great with the silvery blue of the fescue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here