Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Grasses

Posted by charle7 FL z9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 07 at 10:28

Im usually in the aquatic plants forum but I need some help on some grasses. I am wanting to use either the elijah blue or the boulder blue in containers in my cacti garden which is on the side of my pond. Reason for the containers is I want them higher than ground level which is where I have succelents and cacti. I don't want grasses that get too tall and are messy. From what I have read the two I have mentioned stay small. I just have never used grasses before in my landscaping and would like your opinions on how one of these two might look for what I am going for - which is a backdrop of sorts for the succulents - the pond is half above ground and has stone as the wall which everything will be in front of. Thanks for any imput or other ideas on grasses.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Grasses

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 13, 07 at 12:57

Hopefully GrassGuy will see your question, as he is in FL also, and will have insights. My experience with Blue Fescue is they don't like heat and humidity at all. I have at least 50 plain old seed-grown plants, and those in full sun, where they do best in spring and fall, get ratty in the summer. I usually give them a close haircut when the plumes get to the point of seed ripening. That's usually late July for me, and they look like little brown hedgehogs until cool weather brings on new foliage.

I have no experience with the various cultivars yet.

o
RE: Blue Grasses

Unfortunately, as donn suggested, blue fescue grasses melt in the humidity of fl summers. In the panhandle, they are typically goners by late June. I've managed to keep them year-round in heavy shade, but they look very bad and don't come back strong.

Same with the blue helictotrichon.

I'd suggest a blue leymus grass, agropyron, carex blue zinger, or even a blue juncus...if blue is what you're after.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here