Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juniemarie46

What grass should I use?

juniemarie46
17 years ago

Hello I am new and would like some advice on what grass to plant. I am in NM z5-6? I want to place 2 grasses , one on each side of a path/entrance to a garden. Its a bit formal and these grasses will be a focal point.

I am thinking somewhere between 5-8 ft tall. Maybe 3 or 4 ft wide. I dont want the circumfrance to get to huge. So I guess that would be a medium size grass. I would like a Miscanthus with plumes or seed heeds as pinkish as possible. I would like a grass that has an elegant shape with a slightly cascading

top. Not too stiff and upright nor do I want a big huge floppy mound.

I have been researching and looking at pictures all week on the web, but things look different on each picture and they seem to be inconsistant about sizes.

In doing searches on this fantastic forum I noticed a book that you all seem to think is great by Rick Drake and have ordered it.

Below are some of the ones that seemed like what I might be looking for, but those of you with the experience of actually seeing them growing would be the best source of advice.

I have not grown Miscanthus before but I think it would be suited to the soil conditions in this area of my garden. I have a very dry sandy garden where I grow several Panicum's that are beautiful , but this other garden plot has wetter soil. I would appreciate so much any suggestions you have or your first hand knowledge of the grasses listed below.

Malepartus

Ferner Osten

Kaskade

Huron Sunrise

Huron Blush

Flamingo

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions