Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This Type of Grass feels sticky when touched

Posted by jgarden_2010 3 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 12:35

Hello, i have tried to find this on google but failed. This type of grass i may have to wait for it to grow more to see what it could be. I thought i could try here. This grass when u touch it is sticky or if you wear shorts it could give you paper cuts on your legs. I think its about almost 4 feet tall right now. Growing in wet/moist soil! Any idea what it may be ? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This Type of Grass feels sticky when touched

Both sedges (Carex species) and pampas grass (Cortaderia selloana) have sharp edges that can cut. Pampas grass is well known for that and most carex stay smaller than 4' so I'd go with a dwarf pampas, most likely.

o
RE: This Type of Grass feels sticky when touched

Hi there,
I think it is some segde/ Carex. There are at least 2 or 3 European species that grow in wet spots. (I did and gave some botany lessons at university in Germany, on native flora and grasses)
-----
ID-Help for Carex: if you cut off a single bundle-like shoot, it should be triangular in shape. And the grass blades show a M-like shape, well slightly flattend, if you cut it in halves and look at the cross section.
And the sharp edges are typical as well.
Perhaps you can google Carex acutiformis, C. acuta, C. elata and see if the pictures ring a bell.
And I think you can cross Cortaderia from the list as it does badly with moisture in winter.
Perhaps that helps, bye Lin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here