Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rokal_gw

Companion Grass For M. 'Morning Light'

rokal
18 years ago

I'm looking for a solid green Miscanthus sinensis variety that I can companion with 'Morning Light'. Can anyone recommend one that has a similar form? I am looking at 'Gracillimus' but was wondering if there are better alternatives?

Thanks.

Comments (9)

• dawgie
    18 years ago

I think Yaku jima has a very similar form and size compared to Morning Light and it is solid green. I have Morning Light, Adagio and Little Kitten in my garden. Little Kitten is solid green and small in size, but has not grown very vigorously for me. It is slow to emerge in spring and seems to die back to an extent over winter. Adagio, however, is very vigorous growing and relatively small in size, but more spreading in form than Morning Light. Adagio is also variegated but less pronounced than ML and has a green overall appearance. I grew some next to my ML last year and they looked nice together. Adagio is my personal favorite of the Miscanthus varieties I have seen and grown.

• adichristi
    18 years ago

rokal, We just bought two Miscanthus sinenis 'Yaku Jima"/Dwarf Maiden Grass (at our local nursery). Although it looks like a solid green, I just went out to take a look at it and it has an everso slightly white stripe down the middle of the blade. You really can't see it until you look very close at it, because of the way the blade curls. It looks like a darker green than your morning light.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ornamental Grasses Site

• gillespiegardens
    18 years ago

All the dark green miscanthus cultivars have that characteristic thin white stripe down the middle but for some reason it is not considered variegated. Adagio is not considered variegated either. The white foliage ones with green stripes are considered as variegated... such as Morning light, variegata, cabaret, cosmopolitan, dixieland, etc. Also the banded (spotted) ones are thought of as variegated. (zebrinius, stricta, nicky, puntchken, etc)

Sue
    "The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow"

• dereks
    18 years ago

I like 'sarabande'. The leaves are thin and it has a nice form. The pumes are a copperish color. Blooms late august for me. The plumes reach six to seven feet.

• rokal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the great suggestions. I already have a couple of M. 'Adagio' and so far, I am very pleased with it. I will look for M. 'Sarabande' and 'Yaku Jima' am my local nursery.

• jake
    18 years ago

Reading your request for a "look-a-like" why not try something that is contrasting rather than similar?

If you are trying to extend or add to a bed with similar then use what you already have in place. If you use similar than the difference will not be noticeable unless one takes a closer look to identify the differences between the two "look-a-likes".

Put some contrast in your garden. Plant M.s. Mt Washington with its leaf changing to red / burgundy color in the fall. Somewhat similar to Morning Light in stature but different in the end.

Unless you are striving for a mass planting effect add variations. Plant a grass that is more upright or upright arching adding height to the bed. Make your eyes dance along the tops of the grasses w/ the varying heights.

Just being a pain in the grass as I offer a different point of view. A note to remember  the M.s. Yaku Jima that we have has sliced a finger or two while working w/ and around. Sharp edges can do that.

Jake

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

Don't discount Gracillimus. One of the alltime best Miscanthus. Gracillimus is larger than Morning Light. How about a Gracillimus, and a Gracillimus Nana thats a smaller one, I think the three would look lovely together.

• gillespiegardens
    18 years ago

Miscanthus Gracillimus has long been considered the industry standard for ornamental grasses... but is rapidly being replaced by one of the grasses mentioned earlier...
    Sarabande. It is very similar but the plume is more tan color than the coppery colored ones of Gracillimus. Why?
    I am not sure but my guess would be that if the landscapers cannot get ahold of Gracillimus then they consider Sarabande a good alternative.

Jake is right about adding some variety. Good design composition includes 4 different kinds of visual images...
    height, form, color and texture. try adding some switch grass or fountain grass... or use some canadian hemlock or chaemcypris gold mops for good strong contrast... add some perennials such as black eyed susans ( the black dead flower head make awesome contrast against the tan wintry dead grasses) or verbena bonariensis with variegated grasses or russian sage or pink cone flower... low growing cotoneaster shrubs mixed around the base of miscanthus look great... or plant some fountain grass...
    but too much of any one thing (same height, form, color or texture)gets boring and many really nice plants will blend with others and get kinda lost.

Sue
    "The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow"

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

The question was for a grass with a simlar form. I would agree variety is nice, but if Ron wants a similar form I like Gracillimus, and I think a planting of fountain grasses in various heights would look excellent. I grow and sell both Gracillimus and Sarabande, and my feedback from the landscapers is they like Gracillimus better, so far. The variety of ornamental grasses is phenomenal, and I am so glad people are starting to put them in their gardens more often.

Sponsored
More Discussions