Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Moudry' Black Fountain Grass

Crazy_Gardener
17 years ago

I was able to obtain some seed in which I started indoors Jan 22. I'm wondering if anyone that gardens in a cold climate is able to grow these OG as an annual, meaning will they have enough time to produce plumes before a hard frost?

Sharon

Comments (12)

• tjsangel
    17 years ago

Sharon,

Last year I bought a few of these from Walmart. They bloomed around August and lasted a few months. Beautiful plants. If you have them in the ground now they should grow large enough to bloom for you this fall.

Jen

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh thank you Jen, thats good to hear!

Sharon

• pezhead
    17 years ago

There's always a different perspective...in Portland, OR my 'Moudry' is in the ground and has been for 2 full seasons. The last 2 growing seasons it has barely gotten its flowers free of the foliage before cessation of growth in November. Funny thing is, in other parts of town I see this grass flowering -- like Jen's -- in August or September. Variable, generally late grass. Worth it though.

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

Pezhead,
    your perspective of P. 'Moudry' is the same as mine in S.W. Ontario, Zone 5. Moudry is one of my last grasses to bloom & only in years when we don't have an early frost.

Sharon,
    Your Moudry may bloom if they are like Jen's but that would also depend on how far along they were ~ Jen's were probably a good plant size when she bought them and yours are probably just beyond seedling size?
    Why don't grow one or two in a pot on your patio. If you overwinter them in a cool fruit cellar or garage you might have a good blooming plant next year ....

• well_rooted
    17 years ago

My Pennisetum Moudry gave me a couple of blooms just before frost. It was a couple of years old. I didn't like it taking up room when it wasn't a particularly attractive plant (wide leaves). The flowers that finally showed were too dark to provide much of a show and I have heard it will self-seed prolifically in climates where the seeds have a chance to ripen.

So I ditched it.

• mrsgalihad
    17 years ago

I grew some from seed last year. I'm afraid I can't tell you when they sprouted but I had them in the ground by the end of May. I had one 4x4 plug that I broke into four peices. Two of the clumps managed to produce one bloom each but they seemed stunted and stuck down in the foliage.

• donn_
    17 years ago

I winter sowed 'Moudry' last year. Sown in mid-February, germinated early-April, planted out 8 clumps in late-May. They started blooming in August, and I collected over 12,000 seeds from those 8 clumps. I had very little self-sowing because I harvested most of the seeds.

• pezhead
    17 years ago

I now have about 60 'Moudry' in gallon containers and if they do not show good blooms this fall I'll have a fire sale -- the whole lot. Anyone near Oregon want them if they disappoint?? hahaha, I'm serious though.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well the verdict is out, not one bloom for me here in zone 2 ;(

Sharon

• achnatherum
    17 years ago

Maybe next year or maybe not at all .....
    I really like my one clump of 'Moudry' even in the years that it doesn't bloom. I have it planted in front of a Miscanthus sinensis 'Strictus' - the leaves on the 'Moudry' have an elegant, flowing appearance and the leaf colour is such a good dark green.

re: early blooming In another post we got to see Donn's early blooming 'Moudry' and it turns out that they may not be 'Moudry' after all.

Has winter hit in zone 2?
    A.

• donn_
    17 years ago

I have another patch of Pennisetum which just started to bloom in the past 2 weeks.

When the sun hits it later, I'll take a picture and post it, but the blooms certainly look blackish to me. My notes say it's species P. alopecuroides, but who knows?

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes A, winter has hit Alberta, I've got them covered with straw, but I have my doubts it will overwinter, will see ;)

Sharon

Sponsored
More Discussions