Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter kill on miscanthus

Posted by kato_b z6 NEPa (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 13:19

I got tired of picking up broken off miscanthus blades all winter so last fall I cut back several in the fall. Fast forward to this spring and many are struggling to put out a few shoots..... Once they get going they're ok but I've never had them this slow to recover.
So, is it the autumn trim that damaged them or was it the cold winter (lowest temp approx -10F)? .... I didn't think it was THAT cold, plus my arundos are just fine and I would have though they're less hardy.
Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter kill on miscanthus

Most Miscanthus cultivars are good to zone 5 and colder, so I doubt it's winter kill. I also question if the fall trim did them any harm, unless possibly you trimmed them before they had gone dormant. Even that shouldn't kill them.

Mine were later than normal coming in this year, also. We had the coldest winter in 10 years, and the coldest weather had no snow cover.

o
RE: Winter kill on miscanthus

I was thinking along those same lines, so I'm not sure what happened. It does seem to be only the ones I trimmed in the fall, maybe it was too early a trim for them after all. Some of them really seem to be struggling with only a few sprouts, the one I left uncut looks absolutely fine.... But the arundo I cut back last fall at the same time seems unphased, so go figure.
Maybe next fall I'll try the same treatment on only half and see what happens, but then again slightly different timing, different winter, who knows what that will prove?
Thanks for your thoughts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ornamental Grasses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here