Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nora609

Transplanting of Ornamental Grasses

nora609
18 years ago

A friend gave me an ornamental grass for my yard. It was huge so I divided it and planted it. She said it needs sun but the only spot i had for it only gets morning sun, will this be OK?? Also, the grasses are sagging over and not standing up straight, is this because they are in shock from the transplant, can I cut them at this time of year so they will grow back straight???

Comments (7)

• dereks
    18 years ago

Do you know what kind of grass it is? Most need a lot of sun. Morning sun may not be enough. The grass is likely in transplant shock. Personally, I wouldn't cut it back. Others may suggest differently.

• blackie57
    18 years ago

By saying "..the grasses are sagging over and not standing up straight.." do you mean that the foliage is, what we call flopping ? In other words is it sprawling downward and laying on the ground rather thsn standing upright? If so, then it is most likely from the shock of transplanting. Cutting them back this year will probably not give you enough time for them to regrow, although in Vrginia you may be alright bepending on where in Virginia you are. I would bite the bullet this year and next spring cut them back to about 6 inches from the ground. It would most definately help to know what type of grass you have. Maybe a photo or look through the link below and see if anything matches up. Grasses are tough to kill, and do well in the toughest conditions.

Oh, almost forgot. They LOVE sun, and may not preform their best without it. In otherwords they may never reach their mature height or could flop some without it. 6 hours minimum is what I would recommend. Remember grasses seem to preform better in lousy conditions rather than good ones. NEVER fertilize your grass and only water it when they haven't had any in the form of rainfall for a week or more. Good luck !!

Blackie

Blackie

• blackie57
    18 years ago

...to list the site where you can look at different grasses... need more coffee !! ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Grass Index

• stlouisgardener
    18 years ago

Wow! Thanks for posting the link! I've been looking for a resonable nursery and they have bamboo too! =)

I had the same problem as Nora when I transplanted my plume grass, and was also wondering what the problem was.Considering my grass is in direct sun all day long, it sounds like I'm overwatering it.

Thank you everyone for the advice.

• blackie57
    18 years ago

as far as that link goes, I believe the stopped filling mail orders last year. but you might want to drop them a line and find out !! glad to help !!!

• nora609
    Original Author
    18 years ago

These postings were so helpful, thanks everyone!! I will try to figure out what kind of grasses I have and maybe I should move them to a sunnier spot in the yard, do you think that would be too much stress on them??

• blackie57
    18 years ago

Not in the least...just take as much rootball as you can with them. the less you disturb the roots the happier they will be. Also, do not ammend the soil. Just dig a hole, out in some water to help it with the shock, and plop it in !

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions